27 January 2010

Today We're All Down Under

The 26th of January marks an important event for Australians and those of us who secretly wish we were. This most excellent occasion is none other than Australia Day. Established nationwide in 1994, this national holiday celebrates the start of British sovereignty in 1788 and increased in popularity with the bicentennial celebration in 1988. From what I understand all sorts of events happen across Australia including music festivals (I would love to go to Big Day Out) and the announcement of the annual Australian of the Year award. Simply put, Australia Day celebrates all that it means to be Australian and, in my case, provides an excuse to party with Aussies and enjoy a few pints of Fosters. For the sake of comparison, think of it as Australia's version of July 4th. I will admit I did not know the history prior to taking part, but I guess on Australia day we are all Australians, just as everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day. Our festivities started promptly at 11am, and around mid afternoon we headed to the Woolshed on Parnell St. Australians, beer, live music... whats not to love? I'm adding this holiday to my calendar next year.
Much love to my Aussies.



photo credit : Lauren Cahill

1 comment:

  1. Best post thus far hands down! Thanks to all you great americans for making my Australia day 2010 one to remember

    ReplyDelete