24 January 2010

Pints and Parachutes

For better or worse, we are creatures of habit. It is in our nature to develop some sort of expectation for every new situation, even if you tell yourself not to expect anything. Fear, excitement, nerves; we all have our reasons. Have I done a fair job going into this whole experience without expectation? I think so, but ask about my home stay this weekend and I can flat out admit it was not what I was expecting. Count my blessings, lets just say it worked out swell and forget what I thought beforehand. For those who may not understand what a home stay is, from my perspective at least, think of it like this. Imagine strapping on a parachute and diving into something unfamiliar, suddenly finding yourself in the midst of the day to day lives of others. You are most welcome and treated as such, but the world doesn't stop on your arrival. Life goes on with its routines and habits, and for a few days you are allowed to be a part of it. I am fortunate enough to have spent the weekend in Gorey, a small town in County Wexford, an hour or so drive south of UCD. The program paired the members of our group, a smart move on their part. Tom and I were guests of John and Linda O'Brien, and their two young lads Keane and Cathal, at their home in a neighborhood just outside town. The neighborhood has many young families like ours and it is common to drop by for a cup of tea or spend holidays together. The main drag is only a 5 minute walk from the house. John and Linda are lovely people and made us feel right at home. The boys seemed to enjoy having us around as well. We discovered that there is not much to do in Gorey, but in the evening the pubs are grand. It was great craic walking down the street with John to collect his mates on the way to the pub, not unlike how a group of young lads assemble themselves for a game of football up on the green. Without getting into detail, lets just say I think I've fully developed my taste for Guinness. If you want to know the whole story we will have to sit down for a drink. On a more profound level, I guess the point of these weekends is to give students the chance to dig into the Irish culture in a way that might be impossible otherwise. Several insights come to mind. For starters, what they say about the Irish is true; they are always offering you a cup of tea. The everyday person probably knows more about what goes on in the U.S. than in Ireland, but references to the Irish Civil War, the I.R.A., and the various events and names surrounding the conflicts in Northern Ireland are common in everyday conversation. Nine times out of ten they are only teasing, but it is wise to know where you are in the world. I have a bit of homework to do. Religion is certainly not what it used to be, but at the same time other aspects of the Irish culture are starting a resurgence again. I had a good chat with John about education and what he hopes for his boys. Each are enrolled in an all Irish speaking school where English is taught in one class and forbidden outside it. Perhaps in time Irish will be more widely spoken in all parts of Ireland. To describe the weekend simply, it was the chance to gain the perspective of an everyday Irish family; how they feel about world issues, the time spent with friends, the hopes for the future. This is an interesting time to be in Ireland. When I say they tease don't think I'm joking, but in the end I think the average guy would give you the shirt off his back if it came down to it, or at least offer you a pint. Unfortunately its back to the books this week, but I head for Galway this weekend. The air feels clean here, and as I breathe it in I feel more and more at home.
This is pints and parachutes. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment