13 January 2010

Smithwicks

Last night in the Dublin city centre. I feel like I've been a nomad for a month so I'm excited to move into my flat at UCD. I've only been to Dublin for a few days before but I've already started to get my bearings back. I am constantly amazed by how modern a city can be while retaining historical influence and appeal, so much unlike anything in the United States. To recap briefly, the highlight of last night was a bar we ventured to with a live Irish band. I wasn't sure exactly what was happening at first, but within an hour a group of seven or so musicians settled in around a round table and began playing traditional irish folk music. I'll admit I felt quite at home. The "owner", if you will, insisted on putting candles everywhere and it created a nice atmosphere. Today we sat through more orientation but had some free time as well. Tonight we went to a play called "Sea Fairer" which actually ended up being better than I expected. We rounded out the evenign at a pub around the corner from the hostel and provided the establishment with the majority of their business for the evening. Tomorrow we finally head to UCD. Lesson of the day: smithwicks tastes much better here than in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment