28 March 2010

Gleann Dá Locha

A brief walk outside is all it takes to realize that spring is upon us in Ireland. Fully recovered from spring break travels and a brief battle with some unknown sickness, the weather this weekend gave me all the more reason to get out and do things. As Belfast proved a few weeks back, one of the perks of these study abroad programs is the occasional free day trip. On Saturday I joined in on the Study Abroad Office day trip down to Glendalough, which is an hour or so southwest of Dublin in County Wicklow. Gleann Dá Locha, or the Glen of Two Lakes, is famous for its 6th century monastic settlement. This once thriving settlement was a center of Catholicism in the early middle ages and is complete with many traditionally Irish symbols, including a circular tower and many Celtic crosses. While I will skip the majority of the boring history lesson, I will say that from a religious perspective the significance of the sight made it worth the trip. The area around Glendalough is also known for its two lakes, upper and lower. You probably could have guessed that one. The woodlands around the lakes are crisscrossed with footpaths and make for excellent hiking. Following a short introduction about a few of the remains within the settlement, our guide took us for a hike into the valley to check out the lakes and take in a bit of nature. Personally, getting out of the city was a much needed and refreshing change of pace. Clean air and sunshine are rather conducive to clearing the mind. All told, a worthwhile day trip in my opinion.
View of the Round Tower
Sunday was also a great day to get out and soak in some sunshine. I know I've talked about riding up to Phoenix Park for the better part of two months, so this time I can finally say I've accomplished my goal. With the remains of a vicious hangover quickly fading, Ardi and I hit the road and made our way up past St. Stephens, around St. Patrick's Cathedral, across the Liffey and into the park. We were far from alone in our desire to enjoy the weather, evident in the masses roaming around the park and the various athletic events taking place. Sunny skies, a bit of soccer and good conversation; can't ask for anything more on a Sunday. After a solid ride I'm starting to think that maybe I can handle a bike tour after all. Looking ahead, Monday means family dinner night and hopefully booking our revisions break trip. At the moment it looks like we're heading to the Canary Islands, but we shall see. And yes, I promise I will get to mass during Holy Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment