12 April 2010

Pages, Well Worn

I apologize for the infrequency of posts as of late. The means of expressing the images and feelings simply ebb and flow in various forms. I recent days I have gone back to the trusted pen and paper, mainly out of fear for losing honesty. I will, however, remain committed to what I have started, namely a written and visual record of this unreal experience that has become day to day life. Looking for inspiration, this evening I picked up my well worn and loved, but lately neglected copy of the James Joyce classic that is Portrait of the Artist. For the hundredth time I read the words of Stephen Dedalus on the back cover:
"I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using my defense the only arms I allow myself to use – silence, exile, and cunning."

I'm not sure how many times I have reread this brilliant novel, but every time I do I cannot help but be moved by its honesty and genius. All things have a way of coming full circle. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment