19 April 2010

Eyjafjallajokull... Sigur Ros or a Volcano?

We live in strange times; those of which have been recently marked with a multitude of random acts of mother nature. A volcanic eruption on a glacier in Iceland seems no closer than an earthquake in Asia, but this time I am feeling the effects. The eruption on Eyjafjallajokull Glacier is old news now, but this narrative would not be complete without it's mention. I will admit I was rather down about my trip to Scotland this weekend getting scrubbed in the wake of this ash cloud phenomenon, but far more grateful I am not to be stuck in another country with no way to get home. At the very least, it has renewed by interest in Icelandic natives Sigus Ros. Seriously, stop hating on Iceland and pop one of their gorgeous records on. The papers play things up quite a bit, but I've already heard a few first hand horror stories. Will airspace really open this week? And even if it does, how long will it take to sort this airline industry disaster out? The EU seems fragile enough, never mind this happening. The despair at cancellation past on Thursday evening, I told myself then and there I had to get out of Dublin and do something interesting this weekend in spite of "the weather." Feeling spontaneous, Brenna, Erin, and myself booked a hostel in Cork and B&B in Waterford for Friday and Saturday evening's and decided to make a trip of it. Low stress, beautiful weather, and good conversation. I couldn't ask for a better weekend to get away and clear the head. I'll elaborate more on Cork and Waterford shortly as well as post a few choice photographs. Back in the real world, I find it hard to even type these words: it's the last week of classes at UCD. Eleven weeks down, one week to go. Brilliant, terrifying, you name it. No doubt it will all keep me busy. Stranded friends spending a few extra days in Dublin, UCD Ball, a few more assignments, and, if the world gets back in order, Barcelona on Saturday. Strange times, but beautiful times. Stay tuned.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment