12 February 2010

Panic Prevention

Every so often I come across a song I cannot help but put on repeat for weeks, whether it be for a lyric, a riff, or just that feeling you get when something makes more sense than it should. In late 2007 that song was "Sheila" by Jamie T, a singer/songwriter from South London with a knack for the bass and those sort of clever lyrics that you cannot help but sing along to. His debut album, Panic Prevention, is in constant rotation on my iPod and I will admit I'm flat out obsessed. Shortly after I arrived here I heard he had a gig in Dublin but missed out on getting tickets before they sold out. Indecently enough, I actually came across a copy of Panic Prevention in a small record shop in Gorey a few weeks ago... was it fate? I stalked gumtree for the past few weeks with no success until two days ago when Lauren found two tickets. Jamie T and the Pacemakers, live at the Academy in Dublin? Put that gig in the top 5. The Academy is a medium sized venue just off O'Connell St and reminded me quite a bit of Nokia Theater in NYC. By the time the set started the place was packed and turned into a chaotic yet beautiful mess of sweaty bodies singing along with every word. Add the constant shower of beer from cups thrown overhead and you cannot beat the vibe. His live performance is shear brilliance, and I would argue he sounds even better than on the records. The set was a good mix of jams from both Panic Prevention and his latest album, Kings and Queens, which if you have not had a listen to yet I suggest you do. Keep spitting your rhymes Jamie.

"A lot of people around here, lost the whites in their eyes. See the lust inside your heart and now I wanna touch the sky"

No comments:

Post a Comment