18 February 2010

Good Cause Sake

A few weeks ago I heard a term going around campus: Rag Week. I thought to myself, what the hell is Rag Week? Probably just another excuse to get all kinds of inebriated on the UCD campus? The answer is yes, but in the name of good causes. Rag societies are student-run charitable organizations common on university campuses across Ireland and the UK. These societies put on a week long series of events once a year to raise awareness and have a good bit of craic. This week UCD Ents & Societies Charity Board put on Rag Week 2010 and had events like Quake Aid 2010, Foam Party, Headphone Disco, a Guinness World Record attempt, and a scavenger hunt, to name a few. I cannot say I attended any of them with the exception of Thursday evening's entertainment, the Saw Doctors live at the student pub. Seriously, check this band out. The Saw Doctors are a bunch of 50 somethings from Galway who have been laying down jams since the mid 80's, and damn do they sound brilliant live. The Saw Doctors came on around half nine to a packed student pub and before long the Irish students were dancing and singing along to every world. Not long after that, I couldn't but getting into it as well. There is nothing I love better than seeing a band I have never heard before and completely enjoying every minute of it. I wish I could say more now, but I am off to London for the weekend. Look for pictures from the gig next week. Cheers.

The Saw Doctors Live at Uni Pub - L. Cahill

No comments:

Post a Comment