17 May 2010

What A Place to Find One's Divinity In

The beautiful element of human existence is the the struggle to make sense of experience, the inevitable conflict of emotion and desire intertwined in the things we see, the people we meet, the places we find ourselves in and at some point have to leave. There is so much to take in, more than one ever could, but in the end we do the best we can to somehow do it all. Far to often I drift off in thought and wish I'd gone to that city, had one more drink in that pub, or stood back and breathed it in a minute longer knowing I may not be back for quite some time, if ever again. For better or for worse, life is not designed like that. We cannot do it all, see it all, or always bring with us the people that somehow found their way into the corners of our hearts. In the final days and hours in this place, I find it incredibly hard to explain a thing; words fail to describe just how it feels. All I know for sure is that every so often life gives you a chance to step away from everything you thought you knew, everything that feels secure, and find out what its like to reach out and live an experience that forever changes your life. I must admit it will take a good deal of time to make sense of all this, if it ever fully makes sense at all. If you ask what I will miss the most, its not the cities, the pubs, the parks, or the so called historically significant monuments and statues dedicated to some figure of the past. I've grown fond of this place for the people I've met along the way, and the moments we've shared that can never be fully recreated. There is an inherit fault in trying to do something over again in hopes of feeling the way you did the first time around; the truth is that the moments we recall and value most are beautiful because there is no way to repeat them. We can only enjoy, learn, and hopefully in the end take away something that makes us more complete. I feel incredibly blessed for all that the last four months have given me, and will continue to give in various forms for a long time to come. I promise I will share more when the time is right, but for now I'm off to Galway with a few good mates for a week of cycling up the west coast into County Mayo before the last leg of my journey back across the Atlantic. Farewell Dublin, you have been brilliant. To all those of who share the joy and pain of these final words, I'll see you soon. The world is ours for the taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment